måndag 25 augusti 2014

Flow and party! Pussy Riot and KGB

I had flow this Friday, the whole day more or less!

I received a message over 23andme (the gene database) which made me renew my membership at Ancestry for a month. With a lot of help from Kicki, I traced my ancestors back to Jens Schelderup, born 1450 in Denmark and his wife Anna Larsen, b. 1460. It was so fun just working backwards, following leads, checking old scanned registers and seeing the family tree growing in front of me that I lost track of time. I started around 9 am and only took short breaks for food, before finishing for the day at about 9.30 pm.

I just put everything else on hold that day, enjoying the experience of being able to freely follow my flow with no other distractions. Despite the futility of the exercise I nevertheless feel very satisified now that I have my ancestors mapped out. My take from this is simply to pay attention when flow finds you. Dare follow its lead and just be.

On Saturday, I woke up rested, happy and satisfied. I watched a couple of episodes of the TV-series Hemlock Grove and then had breakfast before going to the gym (deadlift, bench press, power clean, planking, hand stands, mobility). Then I barely had time to prepare for the night's birthday/costume party (Russian theme).

KGB and Pussy Riot
My friend and I
BTW, that's a 1.5 L bottle of beer I'm holding (51 oz)

I stayed the night, but we all got up early the next day (before 8 am), due to a merciless sun, shining in through curtainless windows. I felt fine at first, had a cup of coffee and a mug of red wine (always take a morning after drink after binge drinking, to prevent hangovers) and then went home.

I managed to accompany my girlfriend on a short shopping tour and then a Hemlock Grove marathon, before the excesses of the night before caught up with me. I thought I didn't drink that much, but it turned out the punch bowl wasn't just "strong", it was pure "mindfulness" and lime slices, i.e., pure vodka.

Between 2pm and 8pm I had one of my slowest and heaviest hangovers in a long time, or since Ibiza a couple of weeks ago, that is :). Not really having a headache, not really nauseous, not really sleepy, not really hungry, not really thirsty, just feeling wrong and apathetic. I drank a couple of liters of water without anything passing through. That is usually a really bad sign the day after; extreme dehydration.

Around 8 pm I started feeling a little better, went to the bathroom a couple of times, signaling that my water balance was improving. And right then it was time to head for the cinema to watch Guardians Of The Galaxy, a movie I was a quite skeptical about beforehand.

Luckily GOTG turned out to be a work of genius. I laughed loud and hard several times and smiled and giggled more or less throughout the full 2 hours. It just took ten minutes to completely forget my hangover and then it was all a laugh riot.

But, today I am back again and ready to share my "wisdom". Hooray! ; )

I have started by replying to a couple of questions in the comments and a message on 23andme but now I need to rush off to a CEO meeting and then it's time for a free lunch (Nomura Bank).

4 kommentarer:

  1. I'm surprised you don't have a hangover protocol in place since you get wasted so much.

    Something like this: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/12/31/hangover.aspx

    The next time I go blotto I'll definitely be trying some of those ideas (plus activated charcoal which it didn't mention).

    Note: NAC is technically illegal to import to Sweden (it's classed as a medicine). Very easy to find online though.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Great idea. I won't buy NAC but I guess I could keep some C-vitamin supplement at home.

      When I was younger I used to mix 2 liters of water with a couple of grams of C-vitmin and a couple of pain killers and drink it all in the morning. I had no idea it "worked" but C-vitamin always seemed like a good idea, given the importance of the citric acid cycle.

      I already get plenty of magnesium and B-vitamin through my food so no need there. I also always eat a lot of eggs and drink more coffee the day after than usual, but ginger could be an interesting addition to the day-after-routine.

      So, note to self: keep c-vitamin and fresh ginger at home.

      Radera
  2. I love your point about finding ones flow. I'm self employed, extremely motivated and entrepreneurial. That said, I'm extremely independent and if I don't feel like doing it, in many cases I won't. I hate deadlines on projects and rarely take one that involves high stress performance measurements and deadlines. It sometimes costs me money but. I love the freedom of being able to wake up and lounge for a few and then go work on a project that interests me rather than hurrying all frenzied like under a looming deadline. Quality of life is more important to me

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Great comment. Thanks.

      Quality of life (for me) is all it's about, I think.

      Radera